Saturday, 30 October 2010

Happy Halloween ^..^

It's hard to believe that it's Halloween and this beautiful rosebud is valiantly maturing in my garden...
..and I have fresh green leaves and herbs on my windowsill to pick...
I LOVE Halloween... as kids instead of having birthday parties for each of us we had a big shared Halloween bash every year. We had bonfires and wildness... looking back it reminds me of 'lord of the flies' a bit ;)
We all went up the Cavehill (we lived on its slopes in north Belfast) and made fires, got lost and tried to scare people and stuff!
In those days in Belfast beautiful orange pumpkins weren't a common occurrence and we made our lanterns out of turnips (commonly known as swedes)... I love the smell of a turnip after the momentous task of hollowing it out and making a face... they do look a lot more witchy and the smell is beautifully pungent with a candle inside ^..^
Mums wonderful apple pie made on a large baking sheet with plenty of cloves and a few coins wrapped in silver foil... perfect 

8 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories of shared birthday/Halloween celebrations you have. Thanks for joining SOOC Sunday, today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful rose. Thanks for the Halloween memories, it sounds so delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely shots and thanks for sharing you halloween traditions every year! Happy Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting -- turnips carved like pumpkins.
    Loved hearing what you did when a kid. The rose is magnificent and the fresh greens look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Halloween, I love reading about how everyone celebrates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Halloween! I am haunting your blog and enjoying the lovely posts, beautiful photos and GORGEOUS sock yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the one big party idea, wish I had thought of that. Love your rose and it does seem that fall is trying to hold on as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that book! Need to re-read it, it's been so long!

    ReplyDelete