Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Horst Schulz patchwork knitting

My thoughts and this post have been inspired by a lady who bought some Noro Silk Garden sock yarn from my shop to make a Horst Schulz 'hour-glass' patchwork knitting design. She kindly sent me a pic of the first few strips and has said she will send a photo when she finishes.... I think it's beautiful! 


My life seems to have been surrounded by patchwork. As girls my sister and I were both given a bag of patchwork hexagons, as I remember, in beautiful colours and textures.... navy and brown in fine corduroy and tiny flower patterns. 
My sister went on to become a very fine patchworker (among other great artistic talents.. which I may blog about at a later date if she doesn't string me up first... modesty being one of her many virtues!) and the walls of our home were covered with her colourful and intricate patchwork designs. To this day i am still surrounded by Nikki's wonderful patchwork, like this small wallhanging (made from her hand dyed fabric) which hangs where I like to sit...





7 comments:

  1. I think this post is brilliant... lol... you have just written a fascinating blog about patchwork and I who have made many quilts have never blogged about it at all... lol... I have a couple of books by Horst Schulz which you may enjoy looking at in December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have a huge spot in my heart for patchwork. It seems to be my favorite in anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy patchwork! That is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that Noro thingy is lovely. What's it going to be when it grows up? An afghan? Because it looks like it would make a spiffy wall hanging as well. Also, quilt? Beautiful. I'd want to sit near it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that patchwork is gorgeous! *envious*

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, yes, how lovely! The knitted patchwork and the sewn are just inspiring.

    I know that quilting could become an obsession for me if I am not careful and I have more than enough obsessions to be going on with as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love quilting & patchwork & noro! All my favorite things rolled into one post! :) The noro ghan reminds me of Frankie's 10 stitch blanket designs - she has one that zig zags similiarly.

    ReplyDelete