Thursday, 3 June 2010

Favourite sock yarn?


Over the last few months I've spent many pleasurable hours looking at all the sock yarns on offer so that I could pick some for the shop. I've chosen the ones that I think are the most beautiful, tactically and visually...

Currently, I'm considering The Natural Dye Studio's Angel and Dazzle... gorgeous sock yarns I came across at Wonderwool. Also Mini Mochi by Crystal Palace... again a superb yarn>

if you've any suggestions I'd love to hear them... anyway here's my list (and a few thoughts)so far:

Noro Silk Garden Sock: the most beautiful yarn available today on the planet; photos don’t capture it’s secret you need to see and/or touch it. When you knit with this yarn the thickness varies in an organic way, which, along with the changing colour and softness is literally spellbinding!

A close second is Noro Kureyon Sock: apart from the silkiness of the higher priced Silk Garden Sock this has all the qualities and offers similar enjoyment to knit with due to the colourways.

Next up we have Zauberball and Crazy Zauberball by Schoppel Wolle. Zauberball offers a wonderful colour progression in a smooth single strand sock yarn with a hand-dyed, hand-wound look. Crazy Zauberball has a 2-strand twist that gives a wonderfully quirky colour mixing effect. 

Araucania Ranco is a traditional kettle-dyed and hand-painted sock yarn. It's a naturally beautiful yarn with a reasonable price tag.

Hummingbird 4 ply is new range of 4 ply yarn in space dyed colour. It's an ethically traded Bolivian yarn made from 100% Superfine Peruvian Alpaca. Lovely to work with and delicious colours :)

Admiral Edition Tausendschon is 4 ply hand-painted, wool, bamboo and silk; inspired by the seasons and dyed by Tausendschon for Schoppel Wolle. It's quite a highly priced yarn but, personally, i don't think there is anything more opulent than this... and I couldn't resist!

There are also many wonderful indie dyers such as Fyberspates and, of course, the self-patterning sock yarns Like Opal's Circus, which magically create a pattern as you knit!

Anyhow... I'm always on the lookout so if I spot anything interesting I'll let you know ^._.^ ....it's a bat ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment