Thursday, 18 November 2010

For the love of Kaffe Fassett and Regia!

My Favourite sock project box.
I'm not the first nor the last knitter to have a... lets say... penchant for the virtues of Kaffe Fassett. The first complicated knitting project I ever attempted was a kind of sharks tooth waistcoat pattern by Kaffe Fassett when I was a teenager. At that time my sister did some machine knitting and had some very large cones of very fine yarn. As I needed yarn 4 times the thickness I cut long lengths of yarn and quadrupled! The problem was that there were 6 or 8 colours used in the beautiful pattern.... so I ended up with massive amounts of individual lengths of yarn to be working with at any one time.... it wasn't an ideal method but I truly loved the pattern and was determined to persevere... and persevere I did for weeks and weeks! I finally set it down with 3/4 of the back knit and mum kept it for years saying that it was so beautiful that she really must make a cushion cover out of it! I'm sure it's still hanging around somewhere in mum's house... maybe I should hunt it out :)
Many moons later, having actually met (from a short distance, ahem! the great man himself) I am still undeniably attracted to his knits (the woollen kind ;)
Hence, I've been hankering after introducing the Kaffe Fassett design line sock yarn range by Regia for quite some time; I think it would be a great addition to my virtual sock yarn shelves.

So I've started the ball rolling and hope to hear some good news soon ... on both the lovely Kaffe Fassett range and the Jazz design range by Erika Knight... which I'll blog about at a later date :)

7 comments:

  1. Gosh how exciting... can hardly wait to see the Erika Knight yarns... can feel a new order coming on in the near future... will look and see if I can find your "knitted treasure" next time I have some spare moments in the attic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up what kind of tool I need to 4 ply up yarn by hand. Yikes! Easy tool to make, that looks like the yarn would tangle up in huge lengths! And you hade multiple colours too. its neat to hear your mum saved your project. It will be interesting to see when you do get the new line in. I'm still running around trying to find a comapny that will make a stretchy hemp yarn! I know the day I finally get it in my hands will be a very happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaffe intimidates me. - can't believe you attempted as a teen! Ah, youth!

    'twill be wonderful to see his sockyarn. I might even attempt a Kaffe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some Kaffe Fassett Regia sock yarn, but then changed my mind about knitting socks. Made a great scarf though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the sock box! i'll have to look up kaffe to understand what this is better...but the picture looks tempting to give it a try...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi atangledyarn.. the socks on the box are one of the self-patterning yarns by Regia... it's not actually one of the Kaffe Fassett self-patterning yarns but one of their own range... just knit and the pattern appears :) soo much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors! You have so many beautiful yarns!

    ReplyDelete