Sunday, 21 November 2010

Macro Monday Depth of Field


The latest assignment in the yarnography group on Ravelry asks for shots of knitting needles or crochet hooks with attention paid to depth of field.
My understanding (in a very basic sense of the word) of depth of field is having one part of the shot in focus and other parts out of focus. If the out of focus bits look good (like when they take on a honeycomb appearance) they may be called bokeh.. I think.


If one point of the shot is in focus and parts behind this point aren't then it's a short depth of field and if it's all in focus then it's a long depth of field. Not sure what it's called if a further point rather than a closer point is in focus ...
I think this might be a short depth of field too?

Crystal Palace dpns
If you'd like to join in with Macro Monday head over to Lisa's Chaos and submit your blog link. 

9 comments:

  1. What you have in both images is a very shallow or narrow depth of field a - meaning only a small part of the photo is in focus. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool shots. Love the way you are trying new things with your camera...

    ReplyDelete
  3. a great bokeh; real exciting shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love your macro shots here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool shots....
    I love the shallow depth....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a really great job with both of these images!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like! :0) I wasn't positive what was in the first shot at first, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great photos, never seen needles look like that! I love knitting so it's been fun to find your blog, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh cold I do not miss you at all. I <3 being in Australia

    ReplyDelete